Saturday, March 14, 2015

Anxiety: A Well Rounded Approach Towards Balance


Anxiety issues are certainly a complex subject to tackle. A manic phase (of bipolar disorder) can also induce anxiety, and that's what happened to me. I had never taken meds before, but in January 2011 I had anxiety attacks due to high cortisol surges. It felt as though someone was injecting fear into my body every 20 minutes. Currently, I'm on low doses of medication (Seroquel, Depakote and Zyprexa) to help me calm down and sleep.  I was working with a psychologist who specializes in biofeedback as well as a psychiatrist and an Ayuervedic doctor. I've gone to numerous alternative healers over the years, and try to approach anxiety from a holistic point of view.


For me, alternative medicine has also helped my body begin to heal so that the anxiety/panic is diminished and better handled. Most western doctors don't address how adrenal fatigue can contribute to general anxiety disorder (GAD), but it's a huge factor for many people, especially women. If the adrenal glands are burned out (as what happened to me), anxiety can be a side-effect. In my case, my adrenals were pushing out way too much cortisol so I became manic. The other end of the spectrum is adrenal fatigue when cortisol is too low, so the person feels tired. Either too much or too little cortisol can cause anxiety/panic attacks. Also, a blood test won't usually show cortisol out of normal range. A saliva test taken at specific times throughout the day will reveal more accurate cortisol levels (saliva tests are usually prescribed by alternative docs and some chiropractors).

As for supplements that help with anxiety, my Ayuervedic doctor prescribed several forms of Ashwagandha. It's also sold in the health food store, and considered essential for helping the adrenal glands heal. Holy Basil  supplements are beneficial as well. Another supplement that helps bring high cortisol levels down is phosphatidylserine (aka PS). It's supposed to be very effective in balancing cortisol levels after taking it for several months. When night cortisol levels begin to drop, sleep improves, and when sleep improves, anxiety often diminishes.

I've also found breathing exercises that my biofeedback and Auyervedic docs have given me helpful in working with anxiety and insomnia. Meditation is also beneficial and there are some yoga poses I have done, such as cobra pose and legs up the wall which are relaxing.

Overall, I feel that it's a combination of things: medication, supplements, change in lifestyle (like trying to get 8-10 hours of sleep instead of my former 6-7 hours), and breathing/meditation/yoga, that have helped me lessen my anxiety and focus on my path to better health.

No comments:

Post a Comment